A Getaway Vacation
This past weekend we were finally able to get away and
enjoy some downtime. Our trip to Arkansas last fall was postponed due to
building the house, so we finally packed up and went to visit our dear friends
in northwest Arkansas. Even though I had just spent two days with the Ken
Kauffman’s it was good to see them again and have my family along to enjoy the
time together. We packed the weekend full with all sorts of things, especially
making memories. I enjoyed going to an auction for the first time, inviting
children to VBS; in the rain, singing at a nursing home, and visiting with the
lady Melanie and I took to the coffee shop last time I was there. Everyone’s
favorite memory of the trip?....was when we went to find adventure and adventure
found us……… :)
| This little girl was all excited to see her friend again, though it took a little while for her to warm up to Justin again. |
Late Sunday afternoon we all piled in the van and
headed to the bluffs to go hiking. It had rained some that day and looked like
it was going to rain again but we decided to try it. After going way back on
winding and twisting gravel roads in a wildlife reserve we arrived, just as we
stopped it started to rain pretty well. We decided to skip the ¾ mile walk to
the bluffs in the rain and instead go to King’s River. We arrived at the river
with it misting outside and the sound of air escaping out of a hole; when we opened
the doors there was no missing that noise :) After locating the leaking tire,
which was going flat before our eyes, we went on to the river but within minutes
of leaving the van it was raining pretty well again. Most of us decided to just
go back to the van but since a tire had to be changed we couldn’t exactly pile
in it; only the moms had the pleasure of sitting in a dry place. Some of them
found my stash of “trash bags” (wal-mart/dollar general sacks) in the van and
promptly tied them around their heads, I thought a tablecloth wrapped around my
shoulders was good enough and everyone else went with nothing. All of us were
dripping wet by the time they had finished. At the time we were focused on
getting the tire changed and especially on getting out of the rain but later we
laughed and laughed. We drove all the way to the river to change a tire in the
rain :) Our family’s favorite memory of the trip and one that no one there will
ever forget…..
![]() |
| King's River |
Monday morning we left to go up to Versailles,
Missouri; a large Mennonite community. We enjoyed shopping at the different
stores and shops and seeing all the horse and buggies that some of them drive.
A family hosted us for a night so we were able to spend almost two full days in
Versailles. It rained most of the day Monday so that was not exactly enjoyable
to shop in. Since I am usually home when it’s raining I got tired of it pretty
quick. After spending most of the weekend in and out of the rain and everything
in the van getting muddy and wet I was more than ready for sunshine again.
We arrived home after midnight Tuesday night. It was
nice to get back home, but it was also nice as a family to get a break from
everything here. We actually forgot about “home” till we were on our way back
:) I only thought of the house Friday night when I knew it would be storming
here, and I thought of and missed my church family Sunday morning.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment