Two Weeks in Review
So much has happened in the past two weeks that I’m
not sure where to start. It was two weeks packed with MANY things to do, little
sleep, lots of deadlines, pressure, crazy meal times, challenges, uncertainty
and just not enough time! At times I thought everything would come together,
but at other times I really did not think it would.
A week and a half before our move in date Andrew and I
were working on the house when we noticed water seeping out the downstairs
wall. We had a driving south rain and after much investigation found out that
the upstairs window was leaking down the wall, through the floor, and down
through the insulation to the downstairs floor. I had to pull off several
panels of insulation so they would dry; some had to be replaced, but we were
thankful it happened before the drywall was installed. Andrew was thoroughly
disgusted that it happened after the insulation was in. A little window tape
fixed that problem….but that was only the first water leak before we moved in.
The Saturday
before we moved we had a work day with our church. The barn, rails to the
stairs and dry walling the upstairs bathroom was started; also the water line
was put in the house.
We also trucked in gravel…after sinking in the mud
onceJ
Andrew’s
new set of chicks came in….at all times!
Our “shop” till
we build one this fall/winter was delivered. I think it’s a cute addition to
our little homestead.
We put some sod on the north side of the house.
Lines for the water and electric were dug.
Banister was put in.
A week before moving in I was able to start working on
the walls. When a friend heard not even half, of everything I had to do in a
week she offered to help. We had so much fun priming, painting, mudding, and
texturing walls together! That’s more then I can say when I do it alone…all of
those are such boring jobs; though texturing; particularly ceilings, is the
worse :). Add another person and you get someone to talk too;
for hours, tease, and make some memories with.
| Hannah actually braved standing on this very wobbly spool of wire to reach the top :) |
Wednesday; two days before moving day, we had a
problem arise. I was thinking/excited that everything was going to come together;
surprisingly. It was all lining up for a smooth move into our new house, our
entire “to do” list would be completely done by Saturday night and nothing
would have to be pushed off to early Monday morning or skipped! On Wednesday
Andrew was all excited to finally try out his plumbing. Due to the time crunch
the last week we would work into the wee hours of the morning, go home catch a
few hours of sleep, and then come back. Turning on the water for the first time
ended up happening late at night. For ten minutes everything was fine and nothing
was leaking in the house but then we heard some gurgling noises in the little
downstairs bathroom. Next thing we knew, water was pouring out from under the
foundation. We thought it had just poured out into the laundry room, under the
stairs, and working into the dining room when I happened to look in the master
bedroom. Just about the whole thing along with the bathroom and closet were
flooded. I had never dealt with such a mess; we could not believe how much
water came pouring out by the time Andrew got it turned off. As Dad made the
run to wal-mart for a bigger shop vac, and we stayed up till the very wee hours
of the morning cleaning up, we imagined all sorts of things that would
have to be done to fix it; like having to break up part of the back porch
and/or foundation. We hoped it was something simple, but in the middle of the
night two days before moving in with half the down stairs flooded nothing looks
simple. Moving in on Saturday just wasn’t looking like it was going to happen;
so much for everything lining up! Thankfully the problem was just under the
master tub and only part of the cement had to be cut out; the one bad thing was
Andrew lost almost a whole day fixing the problem; when we already didn’t have
enough time.
![]() |
| Little downstairs bathroom. The hole by the wall was where it all started. Since it was the pressure line leaking, it forced all sorts of mud and sand up from under the foundation. |
![]() |
| Master closet after cleaning over three quarters of it. Along with our original shop vac…way to small for such a mess! |
![]() |
| Some of the guys lined up and twisted the hooks off, it was a rather amusing sight; not to mention their comments about it :) |
So there’s a bit of a review of the past two weeks,
future posts well show more of what we did; building the barn, pouring the back
porch and moving. I’m writing this late at night and am determined that all
late nights are finished. So I’m headed up to my cozy bed, in my nice big room
to look up at the rafters, insulation, and collar ties (can I not wait till it’s
finished!) and realize that we actually did get through the last two weeks and
are finally in our new home!







Comments
Post a Comment