Foundation!


With a beautiful sunrise, Wednesday morning dawned bright and clear. Though it was a little chilly in the morning, it turned out to be a perfect day to pour the foundation! With some last minute things we had to do, 8 o’clock arrived quickly! Most of the guys who helped the night before were back to help get the foundation in, plus there were a few extra. All the men from our life group (from church) were there; John and Luke Nolt, Steve and Jeremy Shetler, and Milton Plett; plus Caleb Shetler came to help. Jeremy Linzey let us use his cement tools and insulated blankets. Two days later we very much appreciated the blankets as we listened to the freezing rain come down. The next day when we saw just how much ice had fallen, we thanked the Lord that our brand new foundation was all tucked in, and not open to the elements. Some of the guys appreciated the large pile of blankets at lunchtime; all kinds of furniture was created and put to useJ. It was exciting to see the foundation finally get poured, sometimes we wondered if that and finalizing the floor plan would ever happenJ. Yes the latter was changed again; in fact I failed to mention before that we decided to enclose the front porch now. So the house is now 26x44, we are pleased with the size so it shouldn’t change again.




















When Andrew was a little guy he would draw mom many pictures of homes that “he would one day build her”. Then when we got older, sometimes in our spare time we would look at his floor plan books; which he had just in case he ever needed them, and talk about how much “fun” it would be to build a home. Now our childhood dream/talk of building a home together as a family is actually happening. I’m not too sure if we ever really thought it would happen, I sure didn’t, yet we now have a foundation to a house on 12 acres! At times that is hard to believe and in fact rememberJ. Now that our home is materializing and isn’t just on paper, I think it’s slowly sinking in that we are building…..  









Even working, business for the house must go on...



Just over a week later Andrew and I were finally able to uncover the foundation. I could not believe the mud! It was soup out there; if you hit just the right spot you sunk and then had quite the time getting out. We had to be sure not to let the blankets (which are about 20 ft long) hit the mud and we couldn’t get the foundation muddy, so that meant not walking on it. Andrew said he was having more fun than one person should be allowed to haveJ. He remembered it being that bad at our previous place but I don’t; maybe I just didn’t have to deal with it then, it’ll take me a little while to get use to clay soil again. The blankets had quite a bit of water on them so we had some fun making waterfalls. Really we were very glad to roll the blankets up and be done with them; it took Caleigh and Andrew three hours; in the wind, to cover the foundation. It took Andrew and I two hours to uncover it; in the mud, and another hour for dad and Andrew to roll them up; in the darkJ. We were very thankful for the use of the blankets but we are also very thankful to be pasted the foundation!
 
I was very thankful for my rubber boots but couldn't believe how full of mud they got!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter in Ohio

Wedding Pictures Part Three/Reception

Anniversary Trip